A place filled with history
The history of the Belding ‐ Corticelli industrial complex is rooted in 1883 with the formation of a group of investors and industrialists composed of John Thornton, MLA for Stanstead County, Vice ‐ president of the Coaticook Cotton Co . And Merchant of Coaticook, Edwin F. Tomkins, secretary ‐ treasurer of Coaticook Cotton Co. and co ‐ owner of the Phoenix grist mill flour mill, Stanfield Greenwood, director of Coaticook Cotton Co., Newell W. Thomas, trader and associate of John Thornton, and Benjamin Austin, manager of the Eastern Townships Bank branch of Coaticook.
Although the economic situation, both in the industrial and textile environment, is most favorable at the beginning of the years 1880, it will be necessary to wait until the year 1886 before the company really takes its momentum.
In the aftermath of its incorporation on July 7, 1886, under the name of Cascade Narrow Fabric Company, with a capital of about ten thousand dollars, Edwin F. Tomkins is looking for a site that includes significant hydraulic power and s facilities that can house a braiding manufacture.
The company began operations in the same year in a rectangular brick building on a floor with a two-way roof
From its earliest years of operation, the Narrow Fabric Co. Cascade, whose production focuses on the manufacture of braids, ribbons, trimmings and laces of all kinds, finds many opportunities, both in Canada and in the United States and knows Fast growth. This growth will at first, by adding a square-shaped office with a flat roof, at the front of the structure, in 1888, followed, in a second stage, by the addition, in 1889, of a second floor to the original structure cons Trout in 1886. In 1892, nearly four years after the death of John Thornton in 1888, Corticelli Silk Co., which owns a plant in Saint ‐ Jean ‐ sur ‐ Richelieu, Quebec, became the main shareholder of the Cascade Narrow Fabric Co
The year 1901 marks an era of change for the Cascade Narrrow Fabric Co., which sees its production area more than doubling with the construction of a second brick building on three floors (building No. 2), leaning against the cliff E T connected perpendicular to the original structure. We will take the opportunity to erect a square tower at the junction of the two buildings to house the main stairwell as well as an engine room, a pump room and a repair shop
in 1909, the industrial complex was further enlarged by the addition of a third floor on building No. 1 and the extension on the facade of the square-shaped office. The installations of the Cascade Narrow Fabric Co. Now total 17 840 square feet of floor space, bearing the number of machines with 25 looms and 600 plaiting machines
The day after the merger between the Corticelli Silk company and the Belding Paul & Company. The industrial complex of Coaticook begins an era of unprecedented changes, which will initially result in the constructionIn 1912, of a third brick building on three floors (building No. 3). The leaders will also undertake various modernization works on the site, such as the addition of a bleach room, a stable and a warehouse for trolleys and boxes in 1916, as well as expansion work in 1917 and 1918
The years 1930, which will be mainly marked by the economic crisis, are going to be difficult for the company. Despite the situation, the Belding ‐ Corticelli is pulling its game and succeeds in filling all its commitments made beforehand with its customers, especially since the Coaticook complex has the arrival of several machines manufacturing Shoe laces. This new machinery comes from a silk processing company acquired by the Belding ‐ Corticelli in 193066. We do not have any information about the construction date of building No. 5, located at the back of the industrial complex. However, some architectural elements, such as the use of reinforced concrete, the apparent structure composed of steel beams, as well as the limited consideration given to the architectural decor and the harmonious insertion of the new structural Re, lead us to believe that this production space could have been built in 1930 in order to quickly fill the growing space needs of the company.
between 1946 and 1950, more than one and a half million dollars will be injected into the capital and machinery for production. These investments will include the addition of an additional floor to building No. 5 in 1962, in addition to seeing many ancillary buildings grafted over the decades to the industrial complex, in order to meet specific needs .
The Belding ‐ Corticelli industrial complex in Coaticook will definitively close its doors in December 2004, a victim of the company's financial difficulties and the impact of globalization on the textile industry.
2014, David Sepulchre, businessman and lover of old buildings acquires the Belding Corticelli in order to preserve this historic industrial building and convert it into a tourist complex.
In 2018, the tourism condo project of David Sepulchre took shape with the association of 3 Quebec companies Tomico-ADSP-Welguest. The metamorphosis of the industrial building is underway.
Thanks to the support of the inhabitants of Coaticook and its municipality, the Belding-Corticelli will welcome its first visitors from 2020.
Historical summary from the heritage characterization study of the plant Belding-Corticelli de Coaticcok de July 2017 carried out by the firm of the patrimony-Arch for the town of Coaticook.
– The Beaulnes Museum of Coaticook
– Ms. Shirley Pervertu, cultural development officer for the City of Coaticook
– Mr. Simon Madore, mayor of Coaticook
2018 All Rights reserved, reproduction prohibited